Individualized Natural Treatments for People with Diabetes
Diabetes is a serious chronic condition that involves more than just high blood sugar. Diabetes also affects your state of mind and how you function in your family and community. Patients should be evaluated within the context of their personal environment and behavior. Therapy should be individualized for each patient. Using botanical medicines, nutrients, diet and lifestyle therapy, the therapeutic goals of the natural medicine approach to diabetes is to lower blood sugar, reduce cycle of inflammation contributing to the development of diabetic complications, and help improve your freedom to chose foods and activities that bring you joy.
Who Do We Treat?
- People who have been told they are at risk for diabetes or who want to know their risk for developing diabetes.
- People who are newly diagnosed with diabetes who want to understand all of their options.
- People interested in improving their diet and lifestyle to improve blood sugar and reduce risk factors for heart disease.
- People currently being treated with medications, including insulin, who are wondering whether additional treatments may improve their health.
- People concerned about the side effects of conventional therapy for diabetes, including nutritional losses.
- People who want to know if they have deficiencies that may be affecting their diabetes progression.
Communication is Essential
We communicate with your endocrinologist, primary care provider, and other members of your health care team to ensure you receive the best therapies from both conventional and naturopathic medicine.
Did You Know?
Only 34% of patients know their hemoglobin A1c (the most important measure of blood sugar control) and those that did had better blood sugar control?
Heisler M, Piette JD, Spencer M, Kieffer E, Vijan S. The relationship between knowledge of recent HbA1c values and diabetes care understanding and self-management.
Learn more about your health with complementary medicine!
Did You Know?
Fish oil (omega-3 fatty acids) are effective in the treatment of high triglycerides in diabetes and are as effective as statins in secondary prevention?
Bhatnagar D, Durrington PN. Omega-3 fatty acids: their role in the prevention and treatment of atherosclerosis related risk factors and complications.
Learn your options with integrated care!
Did You Know?
Antioxidants like alpha-lipoic acid have been shown in clinical research to reduce the nerve damage in the heart and elsewhere caused by diabetes?
Ziegler D, Gries FA. Alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of diabetic peripheral and cardiac autonomic neuropathy.
Protect yourself with holistic care!